You’re moving. The papers are signed, the new job is waiting, DIY Transport has shipped the car and it’ll be ready for pickup when you get there. Today’s the day. You’re excited. And the kids seem – nervous?
Relocating can be stressful, whether you’re moving for a new job or simply want to start over. When young children are involved, the whole process can be even more chaotic. After all, the move is your idea, and you’re in charge of it. But they are not in charge – they depend on you for their security, and what’s exciting to you can be frightening to them. Click to read more.
If you find yourself faced with getting young children ready to be moved, here are a few quick tips to help make the process easier:
- Talk to them about it. Explain why you’re moving to a new home and explain the key benefits – a good school, closer to grandparents, a bigger home, etc.
- Pace yourself. Don’t try to get everything done in one day. It’s not only stressful to you as an adult, but it’s also stressful to your child.
- Keep the kids involved in the move. It’s a great way to boost their self-confidence. They’ll feel like they’re making a difference when you put them in charge of packing up their belongings, adding labels, and the like.
- Put special toys to the side, to be carried during the actual move. Keeping their special things physically near will help to reduce any anxiety your young children may have about the move.
- Plan your moving day as much as possible. Arrange for someone to watch the youngest children when movers are coming in and out of the house.
- Give the kids time to adjust to their new home. For a while, everything will be strange and a little frightening. As they become surrounded by their own furnishings, toys and clothing, the discomfort will fade and they, like you, will look forward to life in the new place!
DIY Transport ships cars for relocating families every day. Contact us today for your free quote at 800-266-2202.